Ferrero’s depot-level displays are dazzling retailers and driving spectacular sales
And the added excitement on the depot floor has inevitably led to extra sales. “We’ve definitely seen an uplift”, says Ali, who is confident that the uplift will continue until the end of the year. “The first thing our customers see when they come in is the display; it stays in their minds for the whole season.”
But a successful partnership is not just about short-term projects, says Boorer. “Ultimately, our relationship is about how to sustain growth in the long-term.” And sometimes, this means taking a leap of faith. “We want to work with wholesalers who trust us – Bestway believed in what we were trying to achieve. We hope other wholesalers will have the same faith.”
The risk is certainly paying off for Ali, who says that his confectionery category enjoyed growth last year, with Ferrero’s support. “Things are also looking positive for this year, too. We hope that other suppliers follow Ferrero’s lead.”
LEVI’S TOP TIPS
With confectionery the most impulsive category in the independent channel, effective category management is crucial both in-depot and in-store.
- CORE RANGING: It’s very important for retailers to know that over 85% of their confectionery sales come from a core range. Focus on the products that sell the best in the market place.
- PRICE-MARKING: Consumers are very price-oriented around certain price points, particularly 20p and £1. Retailers are starting to realise that this is a key.
- CONSUMER PROMOTIONS: Relevant on-pack promotions are a great way to add value to the brand and drive consumer engagement.
- PROVIDE SOLUTIONS: Impulse purchases are key in retail and we’ve taken our tic tac promotion one step further to incorporate a free counter top display that’s pre-filled and pre-merchandised, making life a bit easier for retailers.
- DON’T FORGET THE RETAILER: To give retailers an added reason to purchase on-pack offers, it’s important to overlay on-pack offers with promotions for retailers. We’re giving retailers 24 packs of tic tac free when they buy a counter display unit.